Artist Research - Olafur Eliasson


Olafur Eliasson

The piece that I chose for this artist research for this week is from artist Olafur Eliasson. The piece is titled "The New Planet" which was installed in 2014. I was originally very attracted to this piece because of the interesting chandelier type installation that is hanging in the middle of this room. What really made me love this piece is the light the comes from it, and the complete environment that it creates. Instead of it being a projection, the environment is created by light diffraction. I love how the focus of this piece is around the viewer's movement and relation to the constantly moving and spinning structure. 

This reminded me a little of my concept because of the lights that this piece shows off reminds me of space and the type of feel/environment that I wanted to create. It has inspired me slightly to add something to me installation in place of a strobe light, to maybe have some type of diffracted light to create the scene of space, stars, and light. 




"Olafur Eliasson’s art is driven by his interests in perception, movement, embodied experience, and feelings of self. He strives to make the concerns of art relevant to society at large. "


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installation Directions

Process Post #2

About Me