Artist Research 1 - Camille Utterback

For this artist research assignment, I wanted to find an artists that had a style similar to what my first project will be like. I searched for a while until I came across Camille Utterback's installation titled "Light Field." This piece focuses on combined custom made, hand-blown glass pieces with digital projection mapping. The whole purpose of this piece is that when the background is blacked out, the light that is projected onto the glass is floating, embedded in glass chips.

This piece was very fascinating to me because through all of my artistic life, I have always been in love with lighting. I used a Pixel Stick in my AP 2D-Design class in high school and focused on the projection of self within light. I have used light shows in my coding work and now will be using light shows in my projection work. I think that amazing, authentic lighting is the key to making bold art with vibrant color, strong meaning, and force. Light can be used to depict so many different feelings, styles, time, and space and I love exploring it.

"With this and her other glass & projection works, Utterback is interested in pushing the possibilities of projection surfaces, creating situations that take advantage of our depth perception and understanding of physical materials."


This is a snapshot of her installation and I gawk at how beautiful the lighting is. It is so organic and colorful and I have never seen anything quite like it. It's almost as if the lighting is trapped within the shards of glass, each one telling a different story with a different meaning. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installation Directions

Process Post #2

About Me