These Phrases Do Not Define Me.


This is my environment projection about my own experience with sexual assault. This is the first time in my entire art career that I have ever been uncomfortable showing, watching, and listening to my own piece. This has by far been the most vulnerable, authentic, and real I have ever been with myself through a piece of artwork. This piece is titled "These Phrases Do Not Define Me." 

I was sexually assaulted when I was in middle school by someone who was very close to me and very close to my family. For quite sometime after this happened, I felt so empty, alone, and betrayed, which were very weird feelings to have at such a young age. It took me a long period of my life, almost until college, to come to terms and move on from what had happened to me. I used this projection project as a way to finally release my thoughts on it in an artistic way that would continue to help me heal through this process.

I decided to perform in this piece because I felt that it would tie me into my projection as well as the message I was trying to get across. I wanted this to be as powerful as I could have made it. 

The setting is on my bed, symbolizing the place where this assault happened and a place that was soiled for so long.

The videos of my faces surrounding me represent the emotions that I was trapped with. 

The pillowcase around my face represents the blank identity that I was given. 

The phrases represent the phrases that constantly ran through my mind. 

The monologue that I wrote encapsulated my feelings and thoughts in a timeline of grief, acceptance, and movement forward. 

again I don't think I have ever felt so ashamed yet proud of a piece of art I have come forward with and I hope it reignites with my viewers. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installation Directions

Process Post #2

About Me