Process Post #2 for Proj 2

So I have finished mapping out and video recording my projection. I had to change around how I was going to execute this project so many times because the ideas I had in my head were not translating well enough in the space that I had. I also couldn't use many of my original videos due to the fact that they were not fitting/translating well into my bedroom.

That is one of the many things about being an artist...trial and error. I was very frustrated that I almost had to reconstruct my entire idea. However, I am really pleased with the outcome because I turned it more into a performance piece than I originally had intended.

The faces around me symbolize the different types of emotions that I had after my sexual assault. My assaulter had taken away my identity, who I thought I was, and replaced it with a mask, thus the pillowcase over my face. The words on my body represent the main things that I thought about years after. "Why" "Fucking Stupid" and "My Own Fault" were constantly in my head, which is why they are projected onto my shirtless, exposed, vulnerable body.

The performance has to do with me struggling to fight the pain that I felt and rip the mask off, or to sit with the numbness. Eventually at the end, I finally remove the pillowcase, symbolizing finally being free from the pain of my experience.

I still need to voice over the monologue that I wrote and do some color correction and sharpening of my video, but I'm very happy with what I produced. I think the projection is so much more intimate and intimidating than I had originally planned and dives deeper into my own personal story instead of sexual assault as a broader topic.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installation Directions

Process Post #2

About Me